Sunday, February 12, 2012

Practice Makes Perfect (or good enough)


``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````


I like to draw a few small portrait sketches before creating a "serious" drawing. 
These are pen sketches of my great-great grandma: 












At first I didn't like working with a pen, because I couldn't erase imperfections, and I couldn't blend as I would with pencil or charcoal, yet sometime during my college "career" I fell in love with the pen. I love the hatch marks that can be made, and it forces me to look very carefully at what I'm drawing. Each mark counts! If I make a mistake, I call it character. So it both encourages me to be careful with the marks that I make, and forces me to let go of my need for perfection.

`````````````````````




1 comment:

  1. I totally know what you mean about pen drawings! As a friend once put it "Once you lay down the black, you can't go back!". This is what I've been practicing with my "Lunchtime drawings" that I post on Facebook. It's really kind of "naked feeling" to post them because I don't think the average person seeing them on Facebook realize why they are so imperfect!

    ReplyDelete